Chicago Virtual Cyclists (CVC) Unite is a completely 100% free and open community for any and all Chicago area cyclists to unite and ride together online on various online virtual cycling platforms – founded in 2019 specifically to help us all survive the #SocialDistancing isolation order in Chicago with more #SocialConnecting fun online!
Do you ride a bike? Do you train indoors on any online apps & platforms such as Zwift, Rouvy, RGT Cycling, etc? Then we consider you to be part of our Chicago Virtual Cyclist (CVC) community!
Share smart trainer and home “pain cave” setup tips, organize virtual ride meetups, and unite to motivate & mentor other cyclists to have fun as one united Chicago-based community!
NEW BONUS: NOW SUPPORTING CHICAGO BIKE SHOPS!
As an added incentive to ride & race together, we now support local bike shops by purchasing gift cards as awards for virtual riders who earn the most total points (in any division!) at the end of each season of the Zwift Racing League (ZRL) while racing on any of our Chicago team rosters! Many shops have been hit hard by burglaries this winter, so we want to support them as best we can!!! Learn more about how to get involved with us in the ZRL at the bottom of this page!
“CVC” is rapidly growing, free, and volunteer-based… so join the group and share ideas to make the most of training and racing indoors together with fellow windy city riders!
Want to learn more about virtual cycling? Check out these blog posts:
Chicago’s Top eSports Racing Team on Echelon and RGT!
UCI eSports Worlds – Zwift Race Recap w/ Jacquie Godbe
See below for how to connect with us and get started!
CONNECT WITH US:
GET STARTED WITH CVC!
1. Find us on FACEBOOK @ fb.com/groups/chicagocyclists – engage, interact, ask questions, and organize meetups here!
2. You can also learn, ask questions, and chat with us on DISCORD as our “chat board” and team “race radio” for live chatting while riding @ tinyurl.com/ChicagoVC-discord (see below to see who’s online right now!). For other rides and events, be sure to check for additional Discord group channels, such as for our 8am Saturdays Team Ride with xXx Racing-Athletico (they also have a discord channel at tinyurl.com/xxxdiscord)
3. Do you Zwift? Join our team roster on ZWIFT POWER @ zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=7095
and if you’re affiliated with another Chicago-based team on Zwift, you can join multiple team rosters such as those of:
- Chicago Virtual Cyclists [CVC]: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=7095
- BFF Bikes Racing Team [BFF]: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=12099
- xXx Racing-Athletico [xXx]: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=4905
- IronMonster Tri Club [IRON]: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=8019
- 4 Star Endurance [4Star]: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=11186
4. Get a free weekly workout via a free “CVC” TrainingPeaks training plan by following our quick start guide @ tinyurl.com/cvc-peaks
5. Ride and race with us on ROUVY, ZWIFT, and RGT CYCLING by promoting meetups checking our calendar for rides and recommended races on our TEAMUP calendar @ tinyurl.com/cvc-teamup
6. Want to get faster on the bike? Join our “Project ScaryFast” email list at tinyurl.com/scaryfast2021 (new 2022 season info coming soon!)
7. Looking for home “PainCave” setup & gear recommendations? Check out Coach Chris’ Gear & Tech recommendations at kit.co/ironmonster and subscribe to the 4 Star Endurance YouTube channel for video tips!
8. Join our Chicago Virtual Cyclists (CVC) STRAVA group to see where our fellow cyclists are riding virtually indoors, as well as outdoors at www.strava.com/clubs/chicagovirtualcyclists
9. Want to show support for Chicago Virtual Cyclists (CVC)? Consider purchasing a “Server Boost” for our CVC DISCORD server! Discord is free for us to use for video & voice chatting, but a “GIFT” purchase of Discord NITRO will help us upgrade our server and boost the audio and video quality of our “race radio” – a one time donation of $99 improves the riding experience for everyone in our group for a full calendar year!!! https://discord.com/nitro
10. Read up on some of our additional tips, resources, and “How to” articles:
How to get into racing on RGT and the Echelon Racing League
How to create routes on RGT
How to do structured workouts on ROUVY
QUESTIONS or SUGGESTIONS? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ZWIFT RACING LEAGUE (ZRL)
To race with fellow Chicago cyclists in the new ZWIFT RACING LEAGUE (ZRL) – organized by the World Tactical Racing League (WTRL) to promote team time trials and tactical “points” based racing – please complete the following steps:
- ZWIFTPOWER.COM – Create a profile on ZwiftPower.com and race at least three “race” events in Zwift over 20km to get an A/B/C/D “race ranking” in Zwift to determine what category of competition you should be racing with. You can find your ZwiftID by watching this video: https://youtu.be/zeQ4gNlqFPY
- WTRL.RACING – Create a profile on WTRL.racing to link your Zwift profile with the WTRL racing league.
- TEAM ROSTER – Consider joining our “Chicago” team roster on ZwiftPower to share your results and familiarize yourself with other Chicago area cyclists/teammates at: zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=7095
- SPREADSHEET – Feel free to add your name and update your info in this spreadsheet (under the appropriate tab for the current ZRL racing season) to help track who is available to race each week: tinyurl.com/cvc-zwift
- WARMUPS – Use the Zwift Companion App to “Find Zwifters” and request to follow COACH CHRIS NAVIN to get invited to weekly team warmups on Zwift before every Tuesday night ZRL race – don’t forget to add a [CVC], [Chi], or [Chicago] tag to your last name so we remember to invite you (or a similar Chicago based team tag like [xXx] )!
- RSVP & DISCORD – Every week, look for an email from “WTRL RACE CONTROL” and RSVP via the “RacePass” link to join the correct start pen for your team (not necessarily your category ranking, but the ranking of your team which might be higher!). Post in our “CVC” Facebook group or any of the “CVC” Discord App channels if you have questions, need technical help, don’t see an invite, or simply to socialize while we train and race together! We’ll typically post the RACEPASS links in both the Facebook and Discord groups each week, then chat team racing strategies while we warmup and race!
CVC DISCORD APP
See who’s online right now:
CVC EVENT CALENDAR
Or filter by virtual cycling platform at https://teamup.com/kspp95cr7d6on6c32y
STRAVA LEADERBOARD & ACTIVITY
RIDE WITH CVC!
CVC was founded as a fun community outreach project through the volunteering efforts of coach CHRIS NAVIN who is a 3x TEAM USA qualifier, USA Triathlon (USAT) Level 2 Certified Coach, and Metabolic Efficiency Training Specialist (METS I-FCP). Coach Chris carried his coaching expertise into eSports to become ranked as high as one of the top 500 cyclists in the ZwiftPower rankings and has helped coach TEAM USA’s Jacquie Godbe to a top 5 at the inaugural UCI eSports World Championships.
Coach Chris organizes several of the CVC “Chicago” teams and roster in the Zwift Racing League (ZRL) and also helps coach the xXx Racing-Athletico professional eSports team in the Echelon Racing League (ERL).
If you’d like to join in this growing virtual cycling community for training or racing, simply follow “TriMonster” in Rouvy or “COACH CHRIS NAVIN” via the Zwift Companion app and add a [Chicago] tag to your name to join us for rides, workouts, and meetups to get started following the steps above.