Getting ready for a metabolic test? Learn more at www.4starendurance.com/vo2max and then please note the following Test Preparation instructions when scheduling a metabolic test with us – which includes both VO2, RMR, Metabolic Efficiency, and more!
In order to get the most accurate results, it is important to follow these standard METABOLIC TEST PREP instructions:
- FASTING – You should be fasted by avoiding eating or consuming any calories for 4 hours before any RMR or VO2 test. For Metabolic Efficiency testing, please fast for a full 12 hours.
- MEDICATIONS ARE OK – Continue to take any medications as directed.
- BE WELL RESTED – Avoid high intensity exercising 24 hours prior to your test.
- NO CAFFEINE OR STIMULANTS – If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as smoking or caffeine for 6 hours prior to testing.
- WORKOUT GEAR – Bring or wear comfortable workout attire to your appointment, including running shoes.
- SNACK – Consider bringing a snack for after your test. You might be hungry from fasting and you’re more than welcome to snack during your post-test consultation!
- SHOWERS AVAILABLE – Consider bringing any change of clothes for after your test. Locker rooms and showering facilities will be available (please inquire at the front desk about use of secure lockers).
- PARQ – Consult with your physician to ensure you are cleared for any physical activity. We will conduct a pre-test interview and Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PARQ) onsite prior to testing in order to ensure that you are ready, and that we adapt any testing protocols regardless of fitness level. And yes, anyone can have metabolic testing adapted for any limitations in mobility or fitness level… even if that means just walking for 5 minutes! For a preview of possible questions, e always welcome and recommend reviewing or completing a detailed PARQ should you have any questions or concerns, such as this one found at http://eparmedx.com/
- REVIEW TESTING PROTOCOL – We use a wide variety of exercises testing protocols that can be adapted to your individual needs, including adapted BRUCE, BALKE, and similar protocols for our Graded Exercise Testing (GXT). If you are not familiar with testing protocols, feel free to review this guide from the AMERICAN COUNCIL ON EXERCISE (ACE) and feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
- MASK UP – Follow local COVID guidelines as these may change from time to time. For the city of Chicago, this currently means MASKS ARE REQUIRED INDOORS at all times regardless of vaccination status. Please bring a mask to wear before and after testing. Learn more and check for updates to this policy at https://www.chicago.gov/covid
- ARRIVE EARLY – please arrive about 15 minutes early to ensure you have time to check in at the front desk and take a seat in the “member lounge” area where your test administrator will meet you (unless otherwise coordinated ahead of time). You may use the locker rooms ahead of time (please inquire at the front desk about use of secure lockers) but you’re welcome to bring any and all personal items with you to the appointment (no need to use lockers).
At 4 STAR ENDURANCE and METABOLICATHLETE.COM we use two different types of metabolic carts, including the Korr Medical CardioCoach PRO for indoor testing and PNOE Portable Metabolic Analyzer for portable, at home, and outdoor testing. The following video is for testing with the PNOE cart, but general guidelines apply to any VO2 Max, VO2 Submax, Metabolic Efficiency, or Active Metabolic Rate (AMR) test:
Have any additional questions or special requests? Please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org